If you’re anything like me you love braids! In fact, I am obsessed with braids. Clean or messy, a braid always works. So when the ribbon braid started trending, I was ecstatic! It takes the braid to a whole other level. After much trial and error, I have come up with a written tutorial on how to easily achieve the totally cute textured braid.
1. The fabric/textile you choose is key. You don’t necessarily have to choose ribbon; in fact I encourage you not to. Find a strip of fabric that inspires you. I find textiles with a unique pattern or texture usually work best. Remember to make sure it suits the outfit you’re wearing. You will need to gage the material width based on the type of braid you are planning on doing. If you are braiding all of your hair, the fabric should be no wider than 3 inches depending on your hair amount and thickness.
2. Decide on the type of braid you want. Whether it be the traditional, french, fishtail, milkmaid or reverse braid, adding fabric will work.
3. Cut the piece of fabric/textile about double the length of your longest strand of hair. Thick material for a thick braid and thin material for a thin braid.
4. Tie the fabric to your hair under the pieces of hair you’re going to braid so that the knot is not visible. I find a double knot works best. If the knot slips down the hair simply secure it with a bobby pin.
5. Braid your hair the way you’d like it.
6. Secure the end of the braid with clear elastic.
7. Cut off any excess fabric.
8. I like to loosen my braid a bit to achieve that slightly messy look.
Give it a try! I promise you’re going to love it.
Be good to yourself,